Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cheesy Crab Goodness

Over at The Blog of MJ, she is trying out some new recipes for Lent.  If you're Catholic, you know that dinner planning becomes even more difficult when you can't have meat at all on Fridays.  I was raised Catholic, but Jason was not, so I do things for myself, but I don't ask him to be part of it.  I totally forgot last Friday, until I was talking to my parents on Saturday about the amazing burgers we had made the night before (oops).

Anyway, I have a couple meatless / fishy recipes that make the rotation in my repertoire, and I thought I'd share my favorites.

Cheesy Crab Soup, which is almost a chowder, is from the Red, White, and Blue Ribbon 2004 Cookbook.  It's really easy and so delicious.


1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup finely sliced green onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 cups of monterey jack cheese
1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies*
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup half and half
1 pound crabmeat
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion; cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Gradually add broth and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes, or until thickened.

Stir in cheese, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.  Lower heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes.  Stir in half and half and crabmeat.  Simmer, stirring often, for 6-8 minutes, or until heated through.

If you want more kick, use Pepper Jack cheese or some chopped Jalapeno peppers in the soup

Serves 6 - 8.  Great with tortilla chips to dip!

*We use Rotel tomatoes and chilies, sometimes hot and sometimes mild.  The tomatoes really add something, in our opinion.  

Hope this gives you something new for your Lenten Fridays.  

- J & M.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....this sounds so good! Seriously want to try this! Glad you are posting some meatless recipes too. It helps, plus I'm thinking its also good for us to cut down on our meat consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing. For the kids, you can always cut down on the spices or take out the crab (and put it in later for whoever wants it). It's really easy to modify and make everyone happy.

      Delete