Thursday, March 15, 2012

Page turners.

 My posts have been sporadic because I've been reading.  A lot.

The book club I participate in decided that it's first choice (which I'm sorry to admit was my suggestion) would be Stories I Only Tell My Friends, by Rob Lowe.  It's his memoir.  Most of the ladies in the group are fans of Parks and Recreation, The West Wing, or even the Brat Pack movies.  We thought "how interesting!  He was into drugs, sex, and everything else!  Scandalous!"  We were disappointed.  Well, the ones I've talked to are.  We haven't had our meeting yet, but I predict it will take us a few bottles of red wine to really analyze the book.  He glossed over all the stuff we wanted to hear all the scandalous details to, and instead became "the Forrest Gump of '80s Hollywood."  (Quote by E.B.).

Still, I read it quickly, and I am not a quick reader.  I wanted to start something else right away, but I was at my parents' house and all I found to read was an O magazine (the one I cited in a recent post).  When we got home, I decided to read The Hunger Games.  I didn't want to see the movie without having read the book first, and a lot of my friends have told me how amazing it is.

I was not disappointed.  I was so not disappointed that when I was about 20 pages from the end of The Hunger Games, I got in the car and ran to Barnes and Noble to buy Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  I finished Catching Fire in ONE DAY.  I do not read things that quickly. The last time I completed a book in one day was July 2007 with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

If you're looking for something to read, drop everything and read these books.  I know I'm late getting on this band wagon, but I love The Hunger Games series.  I haven't been this into a book since Harry Potter.  The world Suzanne Collins has created, 13 distinct districts and the Capitol, all fascinates me.  I don't want to give anything away, but the character of Katniss really appeals to me as well.  She is not a traditional young adult fiction character, but strong and responsible.

So, sorry for the absence, but it was totally worth it.  I'll probably finish Condaleeza Rice's memoir, which I got for my birthday, once I'm done reading Mockingjay.  I have a lot of books on my shelves that I've never read, so I better get to it.  You can track my books on the GoodReads widget to the right ---->.

- M.

2 comments:

  1. FINALLY. Now go to thecapitol.pn and tell me what district you are. I'm D2. But I've adopted D4 because I hate being a mason and I love Finnick more than anyone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh I have been resisting goodreads (I am seriously maxed out on online stuff) but congratulations you've sold me!!!! : ) I totally was on it for like 3 hours at work today. Hahahahahaha! Now let me figure out how to find you...

    ReplyDelete