Friday, March 2, 2012

Separation Anxiety

My sweet bunny is going through a very strange time right now.  We're dealing with some pretty insane separation anxiety, mainly during his afternoon naps.

Before, he would wake up around 9, take a nap at 10 or 11, get up again around 11 or noon, take another nap around 2 or 3 (this is the solid, 2 hour one I can depend on), and a small cat nap around 8, especially if his earlier nap was abnormally short or early.  Bed around 10:30.  We're on a late schedule as a family anyway, so this works for us (and our pediatrician).

Now, he takes his morning nap (because Daddy is almost always the one who puts him down for that one) and no more.  I got him to sleep for a total of 45 non-consecutive minutes in each of the last two days.  He does not like it if I put him down to sleep.  When Jason and I are both home, Jason can get him to sleep, but I can't.  If Jason tries to do anything with him when I'm home, Elliott is either distracted by me or gets upset if he watches me leave the room.

It wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't in the throws of midterm week.  I have A LOT of grading to do with grades due on the 12th.  If I don't get the time do complete my work, I get very stressed.  Forget the other projects.  I use the little time I have now to do quick clean-ups and make food, and most of that is while he's in his high chair.

Does anyone have advice for me?  Re-reading the above makes it sound like I'm the one suffering, but it's only because Elliott is so distraught.  Help?

- J & M.

4 comments:

  1. Can you put him in that thingy that moms who never put their babies down use? Clearly, I know all the words.

    Is he upset if you're not holding him or can you guys coexist in the same room? Maybe you can put him in the little seat thing (again, the words) and sit next to him and grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Moby-wrap (the first thing you mentioned) is good if we're moving. He's getting pretty mobile, so he wants to be moving all the time. The Moby was once so magical!

      We can coexist, so I can put him in the highchair, but even that has its limits, so I use that for making food and ensuring that my house stays even a little clean. Hopefully the break will provide me with some time because Jason's home a little more.

      However, the suggestions you made are primo in any other situation. BTW, the little seat thing is called a Bumbo (little seat thing is way easier.)

      Delete
  2. Oh no. I try distractions. For Evangeline we've been using this sea horse glow toy. I turn it on after she's down and leave. The mobile is another option. There are a lot of musical, calming crib devices that distract and soothe. Sometimes she cries, but I let her go unless it pushes past 10-15mins. It is harder on the mommy more than the child! :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try these. He's asleep right now; I rocked him for a little while to remind him that I'll be here when he gets up. It is so difficult to let him cry! I started playing Words with Friends on Facebook so I have something quick to distract me when I first put him down for a nap!

      Delete