Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Winter Blues.

While I love having four seasons here in PA, I hate the weather and the general atmosphere between mid-January and mid-March.  It's even worse this year because we've had so little snow.  Snow days usually help boost my spirits, but alas.  It's a little too cold to take E out in the stroller, and by the time I get settled at home and he gets up from his nap, it's getting dark.  Booo.

We're also trying to "sleep train" E.  He's a pretty good sleeper who seldom needs help getting back to sleep if he wakes during the night.  If he does, it's because his teeth are bothering him.  However, for him to go to sleep, we have to rock him for sometimes up to an hour.  It was a little annoying at first, but now he's pushing 20 pounds and just is getting too heavy to hold like that.  We attempted the Ferber method last night, but Jason gave in about an hour in because E hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and figured we should start fresh.  We'll start with nighttime, then hopefully (according to my mom), naps should follow suit.  I hate hearing him cry, but he needs to learn to self-soothe.  This is a controversial topic with moms, but this is how I feel.

I read an article today about a new book called "Bringing up Bebe," which is about French parenting techniques and how Americans could probably stand to use them.  I was already planning on doing a lot of the things she suggested, such as teaching the importance of waiting, patience, and entertaining one's self.  French parents tend not to let their children rule their lives and identities, but rather teach the child to be a part of the family unit.  Now, France has a lot of laws that also help families out, such as quality free schooling from pre-school on and quality free health care.  This allows families to spend more time together, since 2 incomes aren't necessary to get by.  It's an interesting thought.

Elliott has his 6 month check up next week (the day after he turns 7 months...the whole schedule is off).  I hope the doctor feels that we are doing as well as we think we are!

- J & M etc.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you! We used the Feber Method too and I know it's controversial, but it worked. It teaches self soothing skills and the crying does become progressively less and less if you stick to it. I remember Christopher had the same problem around the same age. We got a glow sea horse and would just turn it on and place it next to him. It helped. It also helped talking to the doctor about it too. When the doctor reassured us that he was getting up to be held and not because he "needed" anything like a bottle that made me feel better. Hope you get some quiet nights soon!

    ReplyDelete