Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sweet Sleep

Sleep has been on our minds a lot this week.

We spent the Labor Day holiday with our families, staying at my parents' house.  Elliott got carried around by everyone, especially my dad.  It was wonderful to see our families and friends, since this was the first time we had gone to Harrisburg since Elliott was born.

However, since this weekend, Elliott has not been sleeping as well as before.  His naps are all over the place, if he even takes one, and getting him to sleep at night is difficult.  Jason generally takes bedtime duty, although I've been trying to get E to sleep earlier (Jason doesn't get home until 11pm certain nights!).

Someone mentioned to me that around 8 and 9 weeks, babies have what is called "a wonder week," in which they are making a huge developmental leap forward, and may exhibit regressive behaviors to deal with the new skills or stimuli.  If this is the case, we'll just keep on doing what we are doing and wait for it to pass.  Otherwise, I'm not sure if we need to change his bedtime routine.

Tonight took hours.  We think gas was the culprit, but we're not sure.

On the plus side, once he does get to sleep, he stays down for 6 or so hours.

- J & M.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this happens around 3-4 months too :( The best thing to do is stick to a routine no matter what. He will recognize routine. Try infant's Mylicon drops for the gas. What I also found is that sleep training is good to start at this point too. You can read about the Feber Method (basically putting him down to sleep and letting him cry/settle himself down to sleep). I know a lot of parents don't agree with the method, but it worked for my boys and taught them self-soothing skills.

    I shop at Target for everyday wear, Children's Place/Gap Outlets for nicer wear (like for church/events) and their grandparents shop at Janie and Jack for holiday wear as a gift for the kids :) I should do a blog post about it. The biggest way I save is by shopping the outlets (both our parents live near them).

    ReplyDelete