Strawberry Pretzel "Salad"
- 2 cups crushed pretzels (use a rolling pin and a Ziploc bag)
- 3/4 cup (or 1 1/2 sticks) melted butter
- 3 T., plus 3/4 cup sugar (you'll use sugar twice)
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1-8 ounce carton of Cool Whip
- 2-3 ounce packages of strawberry Jell-O
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 2-10 ounce packages of frozen strawberries
- 1 small can (about 6 ounce) crushed pineapple
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For crust, mix pretzels, butter, 3 T. of sugar. (I actually doubled this the last time...it was awesome). Press into 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 7 minutes and set aside to cool (you should even put it in the fridge after its cooled for a few minutes).
- Beat together cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar. Fold in Cool Whip and spread over the cooled crust (this is key! The crust should be cool! Otherwise the white mixture will melt and there won't be the appropriate layering). Refrigerate entire dish until well cooled.
- Dissolve Jell-O mix in boiling water, cool slightly. Add strawberries and pineapple and let it start to set a bit. Stir to mix and pour over the cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until well cooled, then continue in the fridge until serving time.
Serving suggestion: In bowls with spoons. While you can eat it with forks on plates, if the Jell-O gets melty at all (which it will in this heat!), it becomes a mess.