Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Buzzing Around

I like schedules, especially, oddly enough, ones that other people dictate.  I can negotiate with myself to the point of getting nothing done, but if something outside myself is riding on getting a task completed, I'm motivated.  I like having solid deadlines.

This personality trait is something I'm trying to overcome.  I need to be more of a self-starter in my home life.  At school?  Well, graduation is my deadline and the sooner that happens, the sooner I get my life back.

I made a chore schedule (today was laundry day!), and Jason and I meal plan each weekend so we avoid getting lazy and eating out.  The only reason I've eaten out in the last week is because I went to Tyson's Corner with my parents and sister on Sunday.  As a couple, we probably won't eat out until possibly Saturday since we are going out of town.  However, we're going to a picnic, so we may not need to.

I have a list of things that I would like to get done before my summer class starts in a few weeks, and I made a lot of progress in the last week:

 - Started all of my commissions.
 - Started Elliott's crochet blanket for his big kid bed (for whenever that move happens...we're not messing with a good thing)
 - Purchased supplies for some DIY projects
 - Created meal planning cards (grocery list on the front, procedure on the back).
 - Cleaned out my closet and donated items (my sister benefitted with TWO dresses from White House Black Market).
 - Worked on school work

Nothing really completed, but I have finished the last few days feeling that the day was well used.

This isn't a recipe blog...but:

Tonight I made a crock-pot dinner (Chicken Lime Tacos) and a yummy dessert.

Chicken Lime Tacos

Ingredients:
 - 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
 - 3 T. lime juice
 - 1 T. chili powder
 - 1 c. frozen corn (or canned)
 - 1 c. salsa
 - tortillas
 - (optional): tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, cheese, sour cream

Procedure:
1. Place chicken, lime juice, and chili powder in slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
2. Shred chicken and stir.
3. Add corn and salsa.  Let heat through.
4. Top with deliciousness and serve.

Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients:
 - 1 medium can of black beans
 - Water
 - Brownie mix

Procedure:
1. Drain black beans and rinse both beans and can.  Preset oven to 350 (or what your mix recommends)
2. Replace beans into can.
3. Fill can with water (with the beans inside).
4. In a processor, bullet, or blender, puree beans and water.
5. Mix in with brownie mix.  Do not use oil or eggs!
6. Pour into pan (I used a 8" x 8")
7. Bake for time recommended for pan size (mine took about 40 minutes).
8.  Let cool and enjoy!

I also put some sprinkles on, but that's because the blog I got the recipe from showed the brownies with sprinkles and it looked so good.  These are very fudgey and dense, so be aware.  They are REALLY good with ice cream (kind of like Dairy Queen's Oreo Brownie Earthquake).

Have a lovely week, and see you back here soon!

- M.

1 comment:

  1. This is Devin
    I agree with "don't mess with a good thing" for Elliot and sleeping. Cayden stayed in his crib til he was 3 and then Kierin kicked him out. He never came up with the idea of climbing out so we didn't mess with it!

    ReplyDelete